|Posted by goMarketing on January 1, 2013 at 9:47 AM|
In today’s world of online social circles it’s hard to imagine any business not following this trend. Yet many small businesses, especially in Lebanon and the Middle East, don’t see how they can benefit from social media. Not everyone has had their eyes opened by the massive opportunities for engagement and new business that tools like Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, YouTube, etc… platforms present.
3 Reasons Why Lebanese Small Businesses Should Consider Social Media:
1. Word of mouth is the most powerful force of discovery, and social media is nothing more than word of mouth amplified.
2. Engage with a larger audience - As a business owner you can be guaranteed a large portion of your customers – and potential customers – are likely to spend a lot of time on social sites. Here is an opportunity for you to engage with a large audience and present the ‘human’ side of your business.
3. You don’t have to be big to be noticed - Most areas of social media require the investment of time and not money, making it a level playing field to be noticed.
What is the Starting Point?
• Get a website. The first very important step is to get an online presence. Once you have a website (or even a blog) created then you are ready to get started with social media. The costs of getting a website up and running have come down dramatically recently and small businesses have a number of options available, including GoMarketing Website Packages.
• Spend time on social sites - Once you have a business website then your next step is to spend time on a number of social sites. Spend some time listening, before you start talking and don’t forget that business owners are consumers too, so look at how other businesses are doing it. Educate yourself on social media, and then decide what you want.
• Link to your website - Think of social media as a party, a big conversation and one that you can be part of. Link your online presence from all sites you engage in back to one common place – which would be your website. So for example all those links on your Twitter and Facebook profile should take people to one place – your website.
• Define a strategy - Strategy is a heavy and can be an expensive word. First of all make sure you have your website done, then think about how you want to use it, to which audiences, with which messages. Having a plan will cut out a lot of effort later.
Golden Rules for Businesses Using Social Media
• Measure and monitor your feedback, don’t let it drift.
• Be genuine, truthful and transparent. The great thing about social media is that word of mouth spreads quickly.
• Never impersonate, just be yourself and represent your business.